D&D Sunday Nite
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Character story

2 posters

Go down

Character story Empty Character story

Post  SupahDave Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:24 pm

Osborn doesn't like to flaunt who he is and where he comes from.
Osborn was born on the eve of the new year in the year 983 to Duke Marius Brightmoore and his wife, Dutchess Gwendol0yn. This joyous day was indeed doubly blessed when a sister was also brought into the world a few moments after Osborn. She would be known as Scarlet for the strands of crimson locks on her tiny head.
The twins were not the first children of the Brightmoore's. There's the oldest boy Sir Sidney Brightmoore who is oldest of the whole brood. Sid is a knight not unlike his father... A talented and gifted horseman he is 15 years senior to the twins. He would also be Osborn's knight to his squire. From the stories that Osborn had heard of how he was as a knight and training Sidney was tough, but Sidney was more laid back, but still a taskmaster. Because Sidney knew Osborn would excel and was if not as good, but better than Sidney as a mounted warrior. Osborn would not be the head of the house so he would not need the same in depth training as Sidney did in courtly manners and etiquette.
The Twins also have more siblings. There's Elder Cape Sister Sasha Brightmoore a disciple of the light who is the second oldest. She knew from an early age that she belong not only to the Brightmoore Family, but also to the grace of his light the one True God.
Then there's Lady in Waiting Sophia who is a Courtier in the Emperor's court. She thinks she and her family should have more say in matters... Since Duke Marius is married Gwendolyn eldest daughter of the Emperor. She is a very beautiful, but very dangerous. She will further her family and brother Sidney's cause to help him get more power and ultimately her more power.
Last of the Brightmoore siblings was Sir Simon. He trained with Sidney and their Father, but like Sasha felt a higher calling and went into the church to become a Holy Paladin of the light. While on a mission for the Church 4 years ago Simon went missing and is presumed dead.
While training with Sidney word is received that Simon has gone missing and is presumed dead. Fallen on a secret quest of the Holy Church. This upsets Oz greatly and Sid recognizes that his little brother and squire is devastated. This brings on a whole new style to training. Sidney is not as stern as Duke Marius and this let's Oz blossom as a knight. (In Sidney's mind Osborn is just a knight in service to their Grandfather as a man at arms and nothing more and Sid hides his jealously towards his younger brother. Oz will never have to deal with half of the problems that Sid will ever have to face.)
Almost a year to the day at the age of 19 Osborn is finally Knighted and is given his first task by his father. The empire's grain supply is in peril and the newly knighted Osborn is to be sent to meet with a Brother of the Light Samuel Brill to investigate the fires plaguing the fields of crops to the south near the town of Littleton.
Everyone knows what happens after Oz goes and meets Brill. While on the road to Littleton, Oz has his 20th Birthday. It's his first birthday away from home and his beloved family. He wonders how his sister Scarlet is fairing on their birthday.

Fast Forward several months.
While at court as a young Lady in Waiting Scarlet had been taught the finer ways of court by her Sister Sophia and her cousins (Crown Princess's ______ & ______). Scarlet has been training almost as long as her twin, but not in the ways of the sword. She learns from some of the male courtiers how to shoot a crossbow and she excels in a the years leading up to this point. Scarlet feels empowered by being better than some of the lords and the crown prince her cousin (Crown Prince _______). Scarlet learns quickly not to outshine her cousin the prince. This ticks her off to no ends, but to keep the young prince's temper in check she does so.
On day about six months ago Scarlet wakes up after an intense dream and feels a fire inside that she has never felt before. The dream is a vision of Osborn walking a path of light. She lays in bed in her darkened room and sighs heavily. "Another Day... of fake smiles and making sure not to piss off Sasha and the rest of these snakes..." The drapes are closed tight and no light makes it into her chamber. "I wish I did not have to get out of bed... At least it's quiet at the moment..." Scarlet rises from the bed and thinks to herself that she wishes she could see where to go in the darkened room. In a flash she feels the fire inside well up and out of her fingers, eyes and mouth. Strange words and motions and in a flash there is ball of light in her hand. The room is lit... Wish granted... "How did I do this?" Scarlet quickly opens the the drapes to let in the natural light and figures out after a few moments how to "Douse" the light source that's in her hand.
"What just happened? How did I do this?" The fire inside of her burns and she does not know what it all means. She keeps to herself for the next week. "I"m not feeling well" or "I feel fatigued" she tells those who check on her. She locks herself into her room and tries to make sense of what is going on.
While she is learning about herself and what she is doing she figures out that what is happening is outlawed and she can't let anyone know. "I so wish Oz were here so we could talk... I miss him and I want ever so to tell someone of what's happening... and he would be the only person I can surely trust with this secret. He would know how to help I'm sure."
Another vision during her week of secret training. Her Dream is of Osborn and several figures around a glowing orb. The orb shines with a light of purity. There are shadows all around and the light from the orb is the only thing keeping the shadows out. In the Shadows there are many red glowing eyes moving trying to find a way into the light. One of those pair of eyes slips into the light and is that of a snake which begins to coil itself around something... As the vision moves around Scarlet sees herself opposite Oz and realizes that the snake is wrapping around her leg and up her." She wakes in a cold sweat.
The week goes faster than she would've liked. She can make light with a few words and gestures. She can move small objects without ever touching them. There were several new things she could do and they were wonderful and nerve racking all at the same time.
Scarlet returns to court and now knows what it means to be a a Lady in Waiting in the Court of the Emperor. She hides her powers for a few more weeks. Scarlet almost sees it as a game. She uses some of her powers when she thinks no one is around and this makes her feel right in the world. She is truly unique in a sea of young nobles. She knows she is different and this translates into a new found sense of pride. This new quality peeks the interest of a few of the Young Lords in court. Not only is Scarlet a beauty to behold, but she is also highly intelligent and aloof. The Hunt is on... Scarlet the fox and the Young lords are the hunters.
Sophia notices the change and at first is happy for her younger sister, but after a few weeks of this new found luster she begins to become green with envy. Sophia is no ugly duckling. Some say her beauty would start a feud among brother's, but Sophia is now being outshone by her baby sister and several of the Young Handsome Lords that had given attention to Sophia were now enraptured by the "Fox" as young Scarlet was now known as. This created a fire inside of Sophia, but not the same fire as Scarlet. This was Jealousy and envy that was burning away at Sophia. "Something's up with baby sister and I intend to find out what it is."
Scarlet was even more beautiful than ever. Her Dresses were clean and smelled of fresh cut flowers, her hair was neatly combed and coiffed and her make-up was ever finer than the Crown Princess's. All thanks to Scarlet's power.
A particular Lord had taken interest. His name is Nathanial Lionsmane whose father is one of the most trusted adviser, bodyguard and huntsman of the emperor. Nathan and Scarlet become thick as thieves. Nathan is drawn to Scarlet and they regularly enjoy each other's company and he even teaches her how to fire his crossbow which is what the Lionsmane's are known for. A Crossbow that repeats and is several times faster than a standard crossbow. This Relationship moves quickly and the passion burns intensely. Sophia is quite angered when she tries to intercede and tries to take Nathan away from Scarlet, but is rebuffed first by Scarlet and then Nathan.
Sophia is so enraged and seething with anger she begins to plot ways of destroying the young couples' blossoming love.
Scarlet and Nathan go to the Brightmoore estate to visit The Duke and his wife. Nathan asks during the visit for Scarlet's hand in marriage. Duke Marius is overjoyed and approves of a union of the Lionsmanes and the Brightmoore Families. Arrangements are started for a spring wedding. It is late summer when this happens. Sophia still plots to sunder such a union.
Summer is coming to a close and while at court Scarlet excuses herself and goes to freshen up. Nathan follows behind without Scarlet being aware... Nathan wants to surprise Scarlet and indeed he does. He walks in on Scarlet in mid motion and tongue as magically Scarlet's Dress, hair and make up are fixed to perfection. "So this is your secret to your beauty?" Nathan asks. Scarlet turns around in great fear. "It's not what you think... I... I..." she stammers out. "I have just one question... did you use this power to enslave my heart to you?" Nathan asks. "I did not and do not have such powers my love." Scarlet says. " I know how dangerous this is and your secret is safe with me my love. I never want to lose you and your powers are something that could tear us apart, but i have faith in us that we can maintain this charade. I love you my darling Scarlet with all of my heart and I would never turn you over. Just promise me you will never use this power of yours for evil means." "I promise my future husband on our eternal love" says Scarlet.
Sophia follows Nathan to Scarlet's chambers in secret. Sophia overhears the talk inside the chamber and begins to formulate her plan to remove her little sister... Also Sophia will be a hero for bringing a "master of the dark arts" and her accomplice to justice. Just the matter of catching Scarlet in the act so there is proof.
Over the next few days Sophia worms her way into Scarlet's graces under the guise that she wishes to help with Wedding Preparations. This goes on for 2 weeks and Scarlet is happier than a pig in shit cause her older sister has become so much nicer. Scarlet after the help and loving care of her sister figures that she can trust her family... especially her beautiful and smart sister with her secret. She really wishes it were Oz and no Sophia that she could confide in, but Sophia will be just as good especially since she's been so helpful. Poor Scarlet is so naive and on the last night of summer during the end of summer festival she lets Sophia know. "Sister I have a secret gift... I don't know how or why, but..." with some strange words and hand motions and her hair and make up are fixed and looks magnificent. Then Scarlet makes a hair brush come from across the room to her hand..."Sophia my dear sister let me help you since you have been so kind in helping me and let me do your hair and make up." asks Scarlet. "Thank you my dear Scarlet, I will never forget what you have done for me." replies Sophia.
The sister's leave for the Festival together arm in arm like true loving sisters... Poor Scarlet has no idea what is about to happen.
While at the Feast The Emperor stands and toast all the young lords and ladies and says, "My Kin... You are the Future of this land and with you I know our Empire and Dynasty will last for many generations to come. I am overjoyed to announce that One of my Beautiful Granddaughters is set to marry one of my most trusted adviser's Son's and help solidify our nation's Foundations. My lovely Scarlet and dear Nathanial please step forward before me." Scarlet and Nathan approach after an applause fills the fest hall. They bow in respect to the Emperor. Scarlet Blushes... Everyone is here except Oz and and Dear lost Simon, but at least she knows somehow that Oz is safe.
"My children it comes with great joy to know you have both found love and it is with each other. The summer's sun and the spring's rains have yielded many strong and plentiful crops. Scarlet Your Brother Sir Osborn has fulfilled his mission of stopping the fires and hopefully we will see his return soon to us his loving family. It is with great thanks to him and your family our empire owes a great thanks. If it were not for his bravery in stamping out the Dark Arts which are plaguing our society we would not be able to celebrate as we are now. I would just like to bless you both and I hope you have a stong and long-lasting union so both the Lionsmane's and Brightmoore's can keep the peace in the land and protect all that we hold dear. My our Holy Father's Light Bless you. Sister Elder Cape Sasha If you be so kind as to lead us in a prayer for our young couples, families and ever growing nation."
Sasha says "May the Holy Light's Blessings fill our Hearts and homes. May the Harvest be swift and bountiful. Let the light endure for many years to come. Light Keep Our Lord Emperor safe and healthy for many seasons to come (As Sasha casts Purify food and Drink and then Bless as does several other Disciples of the Light).
Later that evening Sophia asks her father and mother for an audience. Sophia is granted an audience and she begins to tell her parents of Scarlet's Secret Gift and how Nathanial knows as well. The Duke's temper flares intensely and he tells Sophia to bring Scarlet and Nathanial before him. Lady Gwendolyn is dismayed, but holds back tears.
Scarlet and her young future husband come before her parents. "You summoned for us Father?" Scarlet knew something was a miss when her mother wasn't her bright and warm self and her father had his serious look on his face. "Nathanial it pains me to ask this, but is there something you would like to tell my wife and I about young Scarlet?" Scarlet instantly knows from this question that the "snake has wrapped itself around her". Nathan says he has nothing to tell his future in laws. The Duke asks several more times, but rewords the question and Nathan's responses remain the same. Nathan Squeezes Scarlet's hand and steadfastly defends his future wife and says, "There is nothing to hide Your Grace." "Then why does my Daughter Sophia tell me otherwise? Scarlet do you have powers that are not granted from the light? Is Sophia lying? What is your answer?"
Scarlet looks at her father and sheepishly says, "Nathan knows nothing Father... I've lied to you all. I have power, but it is not dark magic. I am still your loving daughter and nothing has changed." The Duke will have none of this. He has Nathan taken away and charged with crimes against the state and tells Scarlet that even though it pains him he must charge her as well and he sheds a tear as he tells her that her punishment is most likely going to be death.
FAST FORWARD A FEW DAYS
Scarlet is locked in her room under guard. Nathan is imprisoned and the emperor's best Inquisitor is brought in to see Nathan to see if he knows more than he and Scarlet says he knows. After Two Days of Grueling torture and repeated questioning Nathan Finally relents and confesses. Word gets back to Scarlet that poor Nathan has confessed all he knows and is sorry to her that he could not keep her secret and hopes she understands and can forgive him. The news is brought to Scarlet by her Mother Crown Princess Gwendolyn. "My poor Daughter I wish i could explain more to you what you are going through... It is a curse that runs in our family. Even being a Noble and Royal blood can not protect us from it. My older brother had gifts such as yours. My Father put him to death his favorite son and heir to the throne. I couldn't stand it then and I will not stand by and watch you be executed for something you can not control. I will help you escape. Let me make the preparations and I will make sure you are away and safe before you can be formally charged." Scarlet asks, " But what about my dearest Nathan? Is there anything you can do for him... Can you not save him as well Mother?" Gwendolyn just nods and softly sobs. "My poor daughter I can not help his poor soul. He is going to be imprisoned for many years for his crime... Be glad that your Grandfather is not putting him to death. I wish i could do more for your love my dear child."
Scarlet says, "I understand mother and I deeply appreciate all you are doing for me, but do not get yourself into trouble on my account." Gwendolyn leaves and a short while later Sophia comes to the door and knocks. Scarlet lets Sophia in and all hell breaks loose. A few minutes goes by and the guards finally breaks up the fracas. Long story short Scarlet Curses Sophia for the Snake she is and tells her she wishes nothing but the best for her since she is a better person than Sophia. Sophia takes this as a great insult. "You're dead to me little sister and you deserve everything you get you evil girl. You've turned from the light and the laws of our Emperor and our people. You will rot forever in the afterlife." Says Sophia.
Scarlet rebuts, "I will always be better than you my dear Sophia, I feel deep sorrow for you and your kind. Calling me evil is a jest of all jests. It's like the pot calling the kettle black dear sister. I have a feeling that I know that the path I am walking is just and of the light. I fear your path is in shadow. You are truly evil sister and hope you get everything you deserve."
The Next Day: Nathanial is led away and is imprisoned without ever seeing Scarlet. Scarlet goes over and over in her head trying to devise a way to escape and perhaps rescue her love Nathan. Princess Gwendolyn comes to Scarlet's Chambers and has the guards sent away. Gwendolyn gives Scarlet some armor and gear. "These things will aid you where ever you go, but you must fly far and fast from our home my dear daughter. Also take this..." as she hands Scarlet Nathanial's Crossbow. "Marquis de Lionsmane wanted me to give this to you daughter. He wishes you safe passage and hopes nothing ill befalls you. The Marquis is an ally of mine and my late Brother... They were best of Friend's growing up and he understand that not all magic is dark, but he dares not speak of this to anyone. If things were different he might have been my husband and not your father, but that's not a story for now... One day hopefully you will be reunited with his son and it will be joyous and in this lifetime. The Marquis thinks of you as the daughter he never had. Go Quickly my daughter fly away and find your brother Osborn. He will save you. I know this is true... God let me know that his path is more dangerous than anyone had first thought. You will need each other and there is a growing darkness that needs both of your light."
"I love you mother and may the light guide your path..." Scarlet says and she looks at her mother and recognize something there. "What more do you want to say mother? I can see it on your face." Gwendolyn begins to sob again. "Yes, my darling child... You are my Daughter and Grandaughter to the Emperor, but I have good reason to believe that Duke Marius is not your Father..." Scarlet reacts as if the wind is knocked out of her... "What?!?! What do you mean Mother?" "It is why your Marius was so quick to turn you and Nathanial over to the authorities. By my grace you were kept here. Tomorrow he intends to send you before the emperor to be formally charged. I won't let you die like my brother. You are an innocent and I love you with all my heart." Gwen says with heavy heart. "Who is Osborn's and My Father then? Who is it Mother? PLEASE I BEG OF YOU? I don't understand... How? Who?" Scarlet asks with tears running from her cheeks.
"I... I... I have an idea... No, I know in my heart it is the truth. When you and Oz were conceived it was at a time in my life that when I shouldn't have been able to conceive. Marius called you miracles and never believe he was not your father... but I knew better. I knew I should never have been able to have either of you, but I did and I just want you to know I love you with all my heart no matter what. You were brought to me in a time when I had begun to doubt all I had believed in. You were both given to me by God to help me find my answers... I'm so sorry that the truth comes at this time and in this way. You and your brother have something very important to do in this world and it supercedes your Grandfather's laws and the Churches laws. I don't know what your task is, but I do know it is important and I know you can't help your brother from the grave and that is why you must go and go now. There is no more time for talk..." As Gwendolyn walks to the fireplace and moves one of the sconces. The Hearth slides open to a secret passage. "Go this way and know always that I love you... Tell your Brother I love him and when the time is right... Please let him know the truth that I have told you. He is a smart boy, but his common sense is lacking sometime and that is why you must go to him and help him. Together you will both will do something great... I know it in my heart... go now before we are discovered... but before you go..." Gwen Takes out a mace and presents it to Scarlet... "We must make it look like you escaped without my help... Hit me on the head and knock me out. I will be with you in your heart and you will both be in mine... Now do it!!"
Scarlet knocks out her Mother and heads into the darkness and to find Osborn. Her Emotions are all over the place, but while walking to catacombs and secret passages beneath the castle and city proper she is able to get a grip... "I have to make people think I am well and not the Emperor's Granddaughter. I can't do that if I'm a sobbing little girl. Toughen up is what Sidney would say... I guess that's why Oz and I have Red hair and not blond like the others..." She travels and encounters some rats of unusual size in the passage out of the city. She dispatches them with her magic and crossbow. She finally makes it out and into the wilderness. "On the road to the south to meet up with big brother... I hope he is ok and I hope he can understand."
Scarlet travels for many weeks and arrives in Littleton. She asks about the dashing young noble and finds out he has headed north and east to Oxford but a week ago. She also learns that Osborn has Allies who are quickly gaining a reputation as a fair and just group who are helping all those who are less fortunate. They are also working with the Church and two of it's disciples... "At least Sasha and Simon would approve..."
On to Oxford. Accosted by a small patrol of Blood Belt Bandits, but is helped by some unseen forces from the woods... Scarlet escapes and continues onto Oxford.
Again Osborn and Company have left a few days ahead of her heading again northeast to Alexandria in the Great Desert... Ozzy never did make things simple. Following on the trail Scarlet resupplies and heads out after the Young Noble and his compatriots. Into the wilds they go...

(Again when Oz hits 6th I'm taking Leadership... if there's anything you want to add Evan feel free. If this isn't going to jive I'll come up with something else.)

SupahDave

Back to top Go down

Character story Empty Re: Character story

Post  Evan Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:52 pm

Nope i really like what I see, gonna give me a lot of plot idea's for my next story arch, well worth some BIG exp nice job dave
Evan
Evan

Back to top Go down